One of my favourite (maybe even my absolute favourite) desserts in my pre-vegan days was key lime pie. I first tried it when I went to my friend’s for dinner and her mum had made it. After that, the friend brought it to almost every get together we had and I’d get to single-handedly devour whatever was left (which was always most of it).
In the year I’ve been vegan, I haven’t touched a single slice of key lime pie and it has made me deeply sad. Until today. Last night, I decided to conquer the vegan key lime pie and it was a beautiful success.
My brother has recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease and I know that lots of other people suffer too, so you’ll notice that more of my recipes are gluten free or can be adapted to be gluten free.
This recipe is really easy and is made with only 7 ingredients, but you will need either a blender or a stick blender. It’s zesty and delicious, and guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser among vegans and non-vegans alike. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Vegan Gluten Free Key Lime Pie
- 300g gluten free digestive biscuits
- 125g dairy free spread
- 225g soaked cashews (*see note)
- 4 limes (juice and zest)
- 1/2 can coconut milk solids (**see note)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 125g agave syrup
*Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 8 hours or overnight. Or, quick soak the cashews in boiling water for 1 hour.
**Refrigerate a whole 400ml can of coconut milk to separate the solids from the liquid. Use all the solids from the can in this recipe.
- Grease a 9 inch flan dish. Crush the digestives with a rolling pin. Melt the dairy free spread for 45-60 seconds on full power in a microwave (alternatively, melt in a small saucepan). Add to a large bowl with the crushed digestives and mix until evenly coated. Press into the base of the flan dish and refrigerate.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, you can add the ingredients to a bowl and use a stick blender until smooth. It might look lumpy at first, but keep going and the mixture will become smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the flan dish over the biscuit base and smooth out. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight, before serving.
- Decorate your key lime pie with lime slices and/or zest to pretty it up.
- Try serving with coconut cream (coconut cream is delicious for those of you who haven’t tried it already!)
I hope you enjoy the recipe! As always, let me know if you try it out and tag me in your pictures! You can get in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or click here if you have any comments, questions, or just fancy saying hello.